Wednesday, March 26, 2008

So, I'm kind of a big deal...

Well, it looks like pictures may not happen on the blog real soon. But I'll get on that.
So we were at the first protestant library in the world in Halle and we were looking at all of their old books. And the head librarian starts flipping through the pages, showing us stuff. He then proceeds to pick up the Luther bible and gives it to me to see how heavy it is. Fortunately, we were able to snap a picture of me holding the bible open to the page where Luther wrote in it and signed it in 1543. So, be looking forward to that picture.

Before that we were hanging out in Eisleben. We went to a morning bible study on Easter Monday with one of the congregations in that city. Going to all of these Easter services, I have learned some German; "Jesus bringt leben! Alleluia" = Jesus brings life, Alleluia.

In Eisleben, we were able to visit the birth house, the place of Luther's supposed baptism, and the death house. We also took a quick trip over to Mansfeld, where Luther lived for a while. There we saw this sweet castle that is now a hostel. (So, in case Hannah is reading: If we come back that's a hostel in a castle and the oldest protestant library in the world.)

We then stopped in Halle on the way to Erfurt, where I am now. In Halle we got a tour and an organ concert from the organ that Hendel learned to play on, and then stopped in at the library.

We are now staying at the monastery where Luther was and saw the place from the Luther movie where he was lazing on the ground. It is very exciting to be here and I hope to figure out how to get ya'll pictures. I'm glad folks are reading. Feel free to ask questions like my friend from the blogosphere, Matt, has.

So Matt, the weather is about like it is in Chicago, around 40, windy, and occasional snow. The food is great. Different than Nebraska but great. The fortunate, err, unfortunate thing is that the beer is less expensive than water. So, economic forces have dictated that I have beer more often than water with my meals.

I'll leave you with the crazy keys on this keyboard: öäß
Peace,
Zach

2 comments:

Hannah Q. Parris said...

I AM reading the blog, and I think staying in a castle and visiting libraries sounds wonderful for when you take me back there...how about eating at some bakeries, too?
Love, Hannah

Mike and Beth said...

You have always been a big deal, around our family, at least! A question..... when you and Hannah go back to visit the castle/hostel/library, can we go? I will buy some meals.....! Thanks for the blogs - can't wait for the pictures! Simon and folks send their howdies - this Boo has had a good time here....